Established in 1982 under the Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act/TEFRA (P.L. 97-248), the Katie Beckett Medicaid Program (KB), permits the state to ignore family income for certain children who are disabled. It provides benefits to certain children 18 years of age or less who qualify as disabled individuals under §1614 of the Social Security Act and who live at home rather than in an institution. These children must meet specific criteria to be covered.
Qualification is not based on medical diagnosis; instead it is based on the institutional level of care the child requires. Title 42 Code of Federal Regulations outlines the criteria used to determine eligibility.
Medicaid applications may be obtained by contacting the Centralized Katie Beckett Medicaid Team at 678-248-7449 or from the county Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS) office in the child's county of residence. To apply for Medicaid, you must submit the completed signed application to the Centralized Katie Beckett Medicaid Team. You may also submit the completed signed application to any local DFCS office, by mail, telephone, fax or e-mail or you may apply online at www.gateway.ga.gov.
The Katie Beckett program has announced a change in its application process. Effective immediately, all medical level of care determinations that are verified to meet the standard for Katie Beckett approval will be authorized for a period of no less than two years. This change applies to all new and existing applicants. For information on this change please click here.
The completed application should be faxed or mailed to:
- Right From the Start Medicaid Project
5815 Live Oak Parkway
Norcross, GA 30093-1700
- Centralized Katie Beckett Medicaid Team
These forms are for informational purposes only. The criteria should only be interpreted by medical personnel.
- Pediatric DMA (6 (A) - Updated 9/5/18
- Instructions for Completing form DMA - Updated 9/5/18
- Medical Necessity Level of Care Statement - Updated 9/5/18
- Instructions for completing Medical Necessity Level of Care Statement - Updated 10/5/18
- Katie Beckett Cost Effectiveness Form - Posted 9/5/18
- Deeming Waiver Manual - Posted 9/5/18
- Nursing Facility Level of Care - Updated 9/5/18
- Intermediate Care Facility (ICF/MR) Level Of Care - Updated 10/5/18